The Latest Call for a Gay Holocaust Comes From Kansas
BY Lucas Grindley
May 30 2012 5:52 PM ET
In the latest of what feels like a sudden explosion of hate speech from the pulpit is a call for mass murder of gay people from a Kansas preacher.
The leader of the New Hope Baptist Church in Seneca, pastor Curtis Knapp, told parishioners that the government should round up LGBT people and kill them, according to audio posted by the Good As You blog.
"'Oh, so you're saying we should go out and start killing them?'" the pastor asked rhetorically. "No, I'm saying the government should. They won't, but they should."
The statement comes on the heels of a call for LGBT concentration camps from pastor Charles Worley in North Carolina. That sermon followed one by another North Carolina pastor named Sean Harris, who laughed at the idea anyone could be transgender and suggested cracking the wrists of a son who acts effeminate — a statement he later claimed was some kind of joke.
Also making the rounds today is a cell phone video of a child being cheered on by his Indiana church while singing, "Ain't no homo going to make it to heaven."
The Human Rights Campaign quickly denounced the comments and the string of others like it, saying extremists were "hijacking" religion.
"These are extreme and brutal messages that do not represent the beliefs of most people of faith," said Sharon Groves, HRC’s director of religion and faith. "People like Charles Worley and the parishioners of Apostolic Truth in Indiana are falsely perpetuating the word of God and stand to do real damage to religious institutions in the process.”
Listen to audio and read the complete statement from the Kansas preacher below:
"And should be put to death, that's what happened in Israel, that's why homosexuality wouldn't have grown in Israel. It tends to limit conversions, it tends to limit people coming out of the closet. 'Oh, so you're saying we should go out and start killing them?' No, I'm saying the government should. They won't, but they should. Say, 'I can't believe you, you're horrible, you are a backwards Neanderthal of a person.' Is that what they are calling scripture? Is God a Neanderthal backwards morality? Is this his word or not? If it's his word, he commanded it. It's his idea, not mine, and I'm not ashamed of it."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 1 hour 8 min ago
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 2 hours 14 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 2 hours 49 min ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 11:56 AM