Video Shows Child's Antigay Hymn Getting Huge Applause
BY Lucas Grindley
May 30 2012 12:34 PM ET UPDATED: May 30 2012 7:16 PM ET
An Indiana church congregation was caught on video wildly standing in ovation as a young child sings, "Ain't no homo going to make it to heaven."
The cell phone video was posted on YouTube and has sparked an outrage that has angry commenters flooding a Facebook page for the Apostolic Truth Tabernacle. The Indy Channel reports that it is pastor Jeff Sangl onstage with the boy as he is cheered on by a raucous congregation.
"I know the Bible's right, somebody's wrong," the child sings. "Romans 1 and 27, ain't no homo going to make it to heaven."
"That's my boy!" someone yells from the pews.
Two boys are at the microphone in front of the church, and one is seen running off the stage at the end and high-fiving an adult near the front of the church.
"Not very 'Christian' in your behavior," wrote one commenter. "Shame on you for teaching children to be hateful."
"Saw your video," wrote another. "Congratulations on poisoning and perverting a child's mind with bronze age mythology. I thought the Westboro church was an isolated incident."
TMZ reports that the singing child is 3-years-old and that reaction has been so overwhelming the church is now in "lockdown" because of threatening phone calls. The pastor and his family say they fear for their lives and have taken a sudden vacation to an undisclosed location. But no apology or anything like it appears in the making.
Watch the video below.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride 14 min 51 sec ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys 40 min 39 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial 45 min 42 sec ago
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 1 hour 8 min ago
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 1 hour 10 min ago
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 2 hours 12 min ago
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 2 hours 16 min ago