Yellow Ribbon Campaign Seeks Catholic Support for Gay Rights
BY Neal Broverman
June 25 2012 2:25 PM ET
A new campaign from the Las Memorias Project, which works to prevent HIV among Latinos, asks Catholic parishioners to wear yellow ribbons to support LGBT rights.
The Yellow Ribbon Campaign seeks supportive Catholic leaders who will show support for LGBT people and opposition to the Catholic church's antigay policies by wearing a yellow ribbon during Sunday services throughout the summer. In an open letter, Las Memorias Project's Richard Zaldivar writes, "[T]here is a campaign by conservative bishops to challenge our movement for wellness and equality for members of our community. [They] are using the pews of the Catholic Church to promote a political agenda. Church should not be used for politics nor should it be to prevent wellness in our community.
On Sunday, please wear a yellow ribbon or cloth on your shirt or blouse to support Catholics for Equality and Social Justice. This is not confronting the church but to remind our faith leaders that the doors of the faith community must be open to everyone in order to promote community wellness. Please encourage your family members and friends to wear the yellow ribbon in support of equality and social justice."
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Minnesota Antibullying Bill Dies in Senate 23 min 25 sec ago
- Music Q&A Quickie: Colton Ford on Sex, New Music, and The Lair 1 hour 24 min ago
- Marriage Equality Minneapolis Church Celebrates Marriage Equality with Rainbow Communion Bread 1 hour 34 min ago
- Commentary Can Marc Carson's Murder Have as Much Impact as Matthew Shepard's? 9:09 AM
- Music The Comeback: ABBA's Agnetha Fältskog 8:49 AM
- Travel 10 of Europe's Gayest Beaches 7:33 AM
- Current Issue The South's Longer Wait for Equality 4:00 AM