"Preacher" Travels Across the Nation for Hate
BY Neal Broverman
July 16 2012 8:32 PM ET
"Preacher" Scott Lively hates gay people so much he traveled from his home in Springfield, Mass., to Springfield, Mo., to urge the city council there to reject a proposed nondiscrimination ordinance.
Lively runs Abiding Truth Ministries, which has used lies to inflame antigay hate in Uganda and led to the proposed "kill the gays" bill, which includes incredibly severe punishments for homosexual acts. On Friday, Lively spoke to 70 people in Springfield and said gay people were not worthy of protections. He propped up a sign that read, "Human Rights Commission Is a Trojan Horse for the Gay Agenda."
“Since when is sodomy a civil right,” Lively said. “It’s a ridiculous, preposterous notion! There’s absolutely no correlation between sodomy and skin color.”
The full council will take up the proposed ordinance next month. Read more here.
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- WATCH: To Rand Paul, Marriage Equality Signals 'Moral Crisis'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'