"Preacher" Travels Across the Nation for Hate
BY Neal Broverman
July 16 2012 8:32 PM ET
"Preacher" Scott Lively hates gay people so much he traveled from his home in Springfield, Mass., to Springfield, Mo., to urge the city council there to reject a proposed nondiscrimination ordinance.
Lively runs Abiding Truth Ministries, which has used lies to inflame antigay hate in Uganda and led to the proposed "kill the gays" bill, which includes incredibly severe punishments for homosexual acts. On Friday, Lively spoke to 70 people in Springfield and said gay people were not worthy of protections. He propped up a sign that read, "Human Rights Commission Is a Trojan Horse for the Gay Agenda."
“Since when is sodomy a civil right,” Lively said. “It’s a ridiculous, preposterous notion! There’s absolutely no correlation between sodomy and skin color.”
The full council will take up the proposed ordinance next month. Read more here.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- 15 More Queers and Allies to Watch in 2015
- Hillary Clinton's Kind Words to Gay Kid 'Afraid' for His Future
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- WATCH: Rick Santorum Thinks 'People Aren't Getting Married'
- South Dakota AG: Clerks Can Refuse Same-Sex Marriage Licenses