"Preacher" Travels Across the Nation for Hate
BY Neal Broverman
July 16 2012 8:32 PM ET
"Preacher" Scott Lively hates gay people so much he traveled from his home in Springfield, Mass., to Springfield, Mo., to urge the city council there to reject a proposed nondiscrimination ordinance.
Lively runs Abiding Truth Ministries, which has used lies to inflame antigay hate in Uganda and led to the proposed "kill the gays" bill, which includes incredibly severe punishments for homosexual acts. On Friday, Lively spoke to 70 people in Springfield and said gay people were not worthy of protections. He propped up a sign that read, "Human Rights Commission Is a Trojan Horse for the Gay Agenda."
“Since when is sodomy a civil right,” Lively said. “It’s a ridiculous, preposterous notion! There’s absolutely no correlation between sodomy and skin color.”
The full council will take up the proposed ordinance next month. Read more here.
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 23 min 16 sec ago
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 1 hour 22 min ago
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM