"Preacher" Travels Across the Nation for Hate
BY Neal Broverman
July 16 2012 8:32 PM ET
"Preacher" Scott Lively hates gay people so much he traveled from his home in Springfield, Mass., to Springfield, Mo., to urge the city council there to reject a proposed nondiscrimination ordinance.
Lively runs Abiding Truth Ministries, which has used lies to inflame antigay hate in Uganda and led to the proposed "kill the gays" bill, which includes incredibly severe punishments for homosexual acts. On Friday, Lively spoke to 70 people in Springfield and said gay people were not worthy of protections. He propped up a sign that read, "Human Rights Commission Is a Trojan Horse for the Gay Agenda."
“Since when is sodomy a civil right,” Lively said. “It’s a ridiculous, preposterous notion! There’s absolutely no correlation between sodomy and skin color.”
The full council will take up the proposed ordinance next month. Read more here.
- BREAKING: Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 11 min 55 sec ago
- Youth BREAKING: Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 31 min 5 sec ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 38 min 17 sec ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 1 hour 2 min ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 1 hour 17 min ago
- The Wedding Channel WATCH: Flash Mob Gay Marriage Proposal in Central Park 1 hour 28 min ago
- Women Cannes is Abuzz About Blue is the Warmest Color's Explicit Lesbian Sex Scenes 1 hour 50 min ago