Bishop Faces Censure for Pro-Marriage Message
BY Michelle Garcia
August 28 2012 2:05 PM ET
A Methodist minister who stood up to his fellow clergy members, asking for more support for marriage equality within the denomination, may face censure from colleagues.
Bishop Melvin Talbert, who is officially retired, announced his support of gay and lesbian couples' right to wed at the General Conference of the United Methodist Church in Tampa, Fla., in May. Talbert has since become the subject of a letter to the Council of Bishops from 70 clergy and lay leaders of the church who say Talbert's gay support is a violation of the Book of Discipline, according to the United Methodist Reporter. The letter requests that the council issue a formal complaint against Talbert and recommends that other bishops be censured if they don't denounce Talbert's support for marriage equality.
According to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, several Methodist clergy, laypeople, and allies have aligned with Talbert. To date, more than 1,100 United Methodist clergy from at least 15 states have pledged to perform weddings for same-sex couples.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 10 min 52 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 25 min 15 sec ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 45 min 45 sec ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM