Italian Catholic Priest Comes Out as Gay
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 18 2012 11:29 AM ET
A Roman Catholic priest in Italy used International Coming Out Day to come out as gay on his Facebook page, Gay Star News reports.
On October 11, Don Mario Bonfanti, 41, a priest in the Italian region of Lombardy, wrote, "I am gay. Or, better, I am a happily gay priest," according to Gay Star News' translation of the priest's Italian.
"Truth makes us free, so Jesus said," Bonfanti continued on his Facebook page. "But, strangely, the Church denies this sentence. Catholic LGBT people must come out. They have to accept the truth."
While it's unclear whether the Italian Catholic Church has formally responded to Bonfanti's coming-out, a Facebook group with nearly 2,000 members has sprung up, titled "Io sto con Don Mario," or "I'm with Don Mario."
Details surrounding Bonfanti's announcement are somewhat scant and subject to translation-based interpretation, but Gay Star News reports that Bonfanti had a run-in with his archdiocese last March when he was barred from a parish in Brianza for supporting same-sex unions.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 54 min 7 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 1 hour 53 min ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 1 hour 54 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM