Italian Catholic Priest Comes Out as Gay
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 18 2012 12:29 PM ET
A Roman Catholic priest in Italy used International Coming Out Day to come out as gay on his Facebook page, Gay Star News reports.
On October 11, Don Mario Bonfanti, 41, a priest in the Italian region of Lombardy, wrote, "I am gay. Or, better, I am a happily gay priest," according to Gay Star News' translation of the priest's Italian.
"Truth makes us free, so Jesus said," Bonfanti continued on his Facebook page. "But, strangely, the Church denies this sentence. Catholic LGBT people must come out. They have to accept the truth."
While it's unclear whether the Italian Catholic Church has formally responded to Bonfanti's coming-out, a Facebook group with nearly 2,000 members has sprung up, titled "Io sto con Don Mario," or "I'm with Don Mario."
Details surrounding Bonfanti's announcement are somewhat scant and subject to translation-based interpretation, but Gay Star News reports that Bonfanti had a run-in with his archdiocese last March when he was barred from a parish in Brianza for supporting same-sex unions.
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
- Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill
- WATCH: Transgender Woman Arrested for Exposing Breasts, Jailed With Men
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM