Vatican Comes Out Hard Against Marriage Equality
BY Neal Broverman
November 11 2012 8:38 PM ET
The Vatican will battle marriage equality with even more fervor following gains in the U.S. and western Europe, it declared in radio and newspaper editorials this weekend.
Feeling pressure following three U.S. states, Maine, Maryland, and Washington, legalizing same-sex marriage through popular vote, Spain's highest court upholding such unions, and France moving forward with marriage legislation, the Vatican reminded its faithful that the Roman Catholic church stands firmly against such unions.
"It is clear that in Western countries there is a widespread tendency to modify the classic vision of marriage between a man and woman, or rather to try to give it up, erasing its specific and privileged legal recognition compared to other forms of union," Father Federico Lombardi said on Vatican Radio.
Lombardi said men and women having multiple spouses would follow same-sex marriage. Meanwhile, an article in the Vatican newspaper declared that support for same-sex marriage is "an ideology founded on political correctness which is invading every culture of the world."
- Women Kim Basinger is Sleek and Sexy in Pin-Striped Men's Suit December 18 2013 9:50 PM
- Women Op-ed: The Right's War on Christmas - The 2013 Edition! December 18 2013 9:06 PM
- Entertainment News Ian McKellen Surprised Hobbit Fans At Desolation of Smaug Screening December 18 2013 7:07 PM
- Travel Sia Wants You to Help the Street Animals of India December 18 2013 5:23 PM
- Media BBC to Air Buffy The Vampire Slayer Retrospective December 18 2013 4:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! December 18 2013 4:49 PM
- Sports Chicago Gay Hockey Association Wins at Celebrating Christmas December 18 2013 4:19 PM