Vatican Comes Out Hard Against Marriage Equality
BY Neal Broverman
November 11 2012 9:38 PM ET
The Vatican will battle marriage equality with even more fervor following gains in the U.S. and western Europe, it declared in radio and newspaper editorials this weekend.
Feeling pressure following three U.S. states, Maine, Maryland, and Washington, legalizing same-sex marriage through popular vote, Spain's highest court upholding such unions, and France moving forward with marriage legislation, the Vatican reminded its faithful that the Roman Catholic church stands firmly against such unions.
"It is clear that in Western countries there is a widespread tendency to modify the classic vision of marriage between a man and woman, or rather to try to give it up, erasing its specific and privileged legal recognition compared to other forms of union," Father Federico Lombardi said on Vatican Radio.
Lombardi said men and women having multiple spouses would follow same-sex marriage. Meanwhile, an article in the Vatican newspaper declared that support for same-sex marriage is "an ideology founded on political correctness which is invading every culture of the world."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 5 min 59 sec ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 1 hour 1 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 1 hour 17 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 1 hour 40 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 2 hours 30 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM