Vatican Comes Out Hard Against Marriage Equality
BY Neal Broverman
November 11 2012 9:38 PM ET
The Vatican will battle marriage equality with even more fervor following gains in the U.S. and western Europe, it declared in radio and newspaper editorials this weekend.
Feeling pressure following three U.S. states, Maine, Maryland, and Washington, legalizing same-sex marriage through popular vote, Spain's highest court upholding such unions, and France moving forward with marriage legislation, the Vatican reminded its faithful that the Roman Catholic church stands firmly against such unions.
"It is clear that in Western countries there is a widespread tendency to modify the classic vision of marriage between a man and woman, or rather to try to give it up, erasing its specific and privileged legal recognition compared to other forms of union," Father Federico Lombardi said on Vatican Radio.
Lombardi said men and women having multiple spouses would follow same-sex marriage. Meanwhile, an article in the Vatican newspaper declared that support for same-sex marriage is "an ideology founded on political correctness which is invading every culture of the world."
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 2 hours 45 min ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM