WATCH: Film Documents Mormon Family's Journey to Accept Gay Son
BY Trudy Ring
June 21 2013 8:11 PM ET
A short documentary premiering this weekend at Frameline, San Francisco’s LGBT filmfest, chronicles a Mormon couple’s journey from campaigning for Proposition 8 to accepting and supporting their gay son.
Californians Wendy and Tom Montgomery say they didn’t know their son Jordan, now 14, was gay when they were working for Prop. 8’s passage in 2008. When Jordan came out to them, they found out he had considered suicide because he feared being gay would mean he’d be cut off from his family for eternity.
“To be honest, before my son came out, I didn’t know any other families who had gay kids,” Wendy Montgomery told ABCNews.com. “It’s one of the things that’s not talked about in my church, which makes it so much harder to deal with and know who to go to for help.”
She eventually found help from the Family Acceptance Project at San Francisco State University, which produced the documentary about the Montgomerys, Families Are Forever. “It felt like a ray of sunshine in the middle of the darkest period of my life,” she said of the Family Acceptance Project. “It gave me hope.”
She added, “I am a better person for having a gay son. I love differently, and I love more openly. I didn’t realize the judgment I had before I realized that having a gay son was a great blessing and not a burden.”
Families Are Forever will screen as part of a program of short documentaries Saturday at 3:30 p.m. at the Victoria Theatre; watch the trailer below For more on the festival, which opened Thursday and continues through June 30, click here.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day March 07 2014 5:49 PM