Laverne Cox Talks Race, Trans Issues On Take Part Live
BY Parker Marie Molloy
June 13 2014 2:35 PM ET
Earlier this week, Laverne Cox sat down with TakePart Live cohosts Meghan McCain and Jacob Soboroff, along with guest host Kim Stolz to discuss the new season of Orange is the New Black, as well as issues of race, and her work on "Free CeCe," a documentary about the life of CeCe McDonald.
"On Orange, our writers are so brilliant, and I think they do a really good job of making Sophia just one of the girls," Cox says of the show's ability to avoid common tropes. "She has specific issues that relate to her being trans, but she deals with the same things that everyone else deals with; she's incarcerated, she has a family on the outside, she's negotiating — does she have a relationship with the family? That's not a trans issue; that's a human issue."
Cox also speaks of the relationship she has with her mother, saying, "I'm really proud of her, and she's proud of me."
Earlier this month, Meghan McCain — daughter of Senator and former GOP presidential candidate John McCain — was named to GLAAD's board of directors.
Watch a clip from Laverne Cox's TakePart Live interview below:
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- Op-ed: Let's Keep the Momentum Going After Win in Ireland
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- Op-ed: Embracing the Role of Asian Mother to a Trans Son
- BREAKING: How About a President Santorum?