Laverne Cox Talks Race, Trans Issues On Take Part Live
BY Parker Marie Molloy
June 13 2014 2:35 PM ET
Earlier this week, Laverne Cox sat down with TakePart Live cohosts Meghan McCain and Jacob Soboroff, along with guest host Kim Stolz to discuss the new season of Orange is the New Black, as well as issues of race, and her work on "Free CeCe," a documentary about the life of CeCe McDonald.
"On Orange, our writers are so brilliant, and I think they do a really good job of making Sophia just one of the girls," Cox says of the show's ability to avoid common tropes. "She has specific issues that relate to her being trans, but she deals with the same things that everyone else deals with; she's incarcerated, she has a family on the outside, she's negotiating — does she have a relationship with the family? That's not a trans issue; that's a human issue."
Cox also speaks of the relationship she has with her mother, saying, "I'm really proud of her, and she's proud of me."
Earlier this month, Meghan McCain — daughter of Senator and former GOP presidential candidate John McCain — was named to GLAAD's board of directors.
Watch a clip from Laverne Cox's TakePart Live interview below:
- Duggar Show Pulled From TLC Schedule, Could Be Canceled
- For YouTube's 10th Birthday, the 10 Best LGBT Videos
- Josh Duggar Resigns From Antigay Family Research Council Amid Sexual Abuse Allegations
- 25 Unforgettable Gay TV Kisses
- 18 Camp Classic Musicals That Make Us Sing
- WATCH: Oregon Gov. Emotionally Signs Conversion Therapy Ban Into Law