Laverne Cox Talks Race, Trans Issues On Take Part Live
BY Parker Marie Molloy
June 13 2014 2:35 PM ET
Earlier this week, Laverne Cox sat down with TakePart Live cohosts Meghan McCain and Jacob Soboroff, along with guest host Kim Stolz to discuss the new season of Orange is the New Black, as well as issues of race, and her work on "Free CeCe," a documentary about the life of CeCe McDonald.
"On Orange, our writers are so brilliant, and I think they do a really good job of making Sophia just one of the girls," Cox says of the show's ability to avoid common tropes. "She has specific issues that relate to her being trans, but she deals with the same things that everyone else deals with; she's incarcerated, she has a family on the outside, she's negotiating — does she have a relationship with the family? That's not a trans issue; that's a human issue."
Cox also speaks of the relationship she has with her mother, saying, "I'm really proud of her, and she's proud of me."
Earlier this month, Meghan McCain — daughter of Senator and former GOP presidential candidate John McCain — was named to GLAAD's board of directors.
Watch a clip from Laverne Cox's TakePart Live interview below:
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion
- Indiana Newspaper Sends Big Message
- These Indiana Businesses Haven't Weighed in on Discrimination
- Subaru Comes Out Against Indiana's 'License to Discriminate'
- Gov. Mike Pence: 'This Is a Perception Problem'
- Op-ed: Angelina Jolie's Choice Bolsters the Trans Argument