Top Filipino Singer-Actor Comes Out as a Transgender Man
BY Mitch Kellaway
August 20 2014 4:10 PM ET
Last week, one of the most popular singer-actors in the Philippines, Aiza Seguerra, opened up about being transgender on the talk show Aquino & Abunda Tonight.
"Finally I discovered … I'm not a lesbian," he told host Kris Aquino, explaining in both English and Tagalog. "It answered a lot of questions."
He also explained the difference between sexual orientation and gender identity, pointing out that because he is solely attracted to women, he no longer identifies as a gay woman. It's a distinction some Filipino reporters have struggled with, still commonly referring to Seguerra with female pronouns.
Seguerra, now 31 years old, first rose to fame as a child star, appearing in more than 30 Filipino films and TV shows before he was an adult. He began a successful career as a pop singer and guitarist in his late teens.
No stranger to the headlines, Seguerra has most recently received attention for his announcement that he and his fiancé, model Lisa Diño, plan to travel to the U.S. next year to get married and seek in vitro fertilization treatments so they can have a child.
Seguerra is already a parent to his stepdaughter, though after coming out as trans, he tells Manila's ABS-CBN News that some have questioned his role in his family.
"Guys, it is expected of them to take care of their family," he responded. "Why can't I do that? I have my own family now."
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sees 'No Crying Need' for SCOTUS to Take Up Marriage
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Obama: Constitution 'Does Guarantee Same-Sex Marriage in All 50 States'
- Same-Sex Couple's Kiss Sparks U.K. Bus Driver's Antigay Rant
- WATCH: As Marriage Equality Spreads, Judge Rules NOM Can't Recoup $700K in Legal Fees