Advocate's Diane Anderson-Minshall Honored by L.A. Pride
BY Trudy Ring
May 17 2013 5:29 PM ET
Diane Anderson-Minshall, editor at large of The Advocate and editor in chief of sister publication HIV Plus, has been named an official community honoree of L.A. Pride, Los Angeles’s annual LGBT pride celebration, to be held June 7-9 in West Hollywood.
L.A. Pride will honor Anderson-Minshall with the Osborn/Michaels Media Award, recognizing those who disseminate information to the public for the betterment of LGBT people in order to raise awareness and fight for equality.
“I couldn’t be more thrilled,” Anderson-Minshall said. “L.A. Pride was one of the first prides I ever attended, back when I was just coming out 25 years ago. It was life-changing then, and I feel like this award is life-changing now. I’m honored to be coming full circle with this award and to be in such amazing company. I’m thinking about wearing a neon rainbow tube top so you can see me in the parade.”
The Osborn/Michaels Media Award is named for media luminaries Torie Osborn, who through numerous media appearances has become a nationally recognized leader at the forefront of equality issues, and Dick Michaels, who cofounded The Advocate in 1967.
Anderson-Minshall is being honored for her more than 20 years of experience writing for a long list of LGBT publications and repeatedly being a leader in journalism. She was cofounder and editor of both Girlfriends and Alice magazines in the 1990s and was the longtime editor in chief of Curve magazine. Her work has also appeared in other magazines, newspapers, and anthologies and on radio and television. She was named one of Power Up’s Ten Powerful Gay Women in Showbiz in 2006 and was a GLAAD Media Award winner in 2012. She has been a pride grand marshal in Idaho, Montana, and Lincoln City, Ore.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM