Same-Sex Legal Kit for Dummies
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
March 27 2013 3:00 AM ET
Carrie Ross-Stone and her partner, Elisia — whose cross-country bike ride was documented in the 2005 film Lesbian Grandmothers From Mars: One Couple’s Journey for Marriage Equality — have run Rainbow Law for two decades now. Rainbow Law offers info on LGBTQ legal protections and estate planning, and, in the last four years, free advance directives (living wills and medical and durable powers of attorney) to anyone who requests them.
It’s no surprise, then, to see that Ross-Stone, a West Virginia attorney, partnered with Widener University School of Law professor John G. Culhane to write Same-Sex Legal Kit for Dummies (Wiley, $34.99), a compilation of legal information every LGBT person, whether single or partnered, needs to know. The book comes with a CD containing sample forms for such documents as tenant agreements, living wills, co-parenting agreements, and medical powers of attorney. The disc also has state-by-state lists of marriage recognition laws, adoption and surrogacy laws, and more.
- Television Bette Midler to Play Mae West in HBO Biopic 2 hours 19 min ago
- Marriage Equality ACLU Launches My Big Gay (Il)legal Wedding Contest 2 hours 53 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 10:34 AM
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 8:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 7:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 6:30 AM