BY Jon Barrett
October 11 2010 3:00 AM ET
What a year it’s been already. Three straight people—Ted Olson, David Boies, and Lady Gaga—have become the fiercest advocates on behalf of our equal rights. (To think that just two years ago we thought our newly elected president would be leading the charge.)
It seems fitting that we have another longtime advocate, Liza Minnelli, on our cover this month. No matter what you thought of Minnelli’s cameo in last summer’s Sex and the City 2, her arrival on-screen (at Stanford and Anthony’s wedding) left little question that this was a gay wedding. Liza is gay. Not Liza herself—but the very idea of her is in step with so much of what it can and often does mean to be gay. The sparkle, the sizzle, the parties, the battles, the setbacks, the comebacks—these are the days of our lives.
So as Minnelli promotes her latest album, Confessions (which is supposed to be amazing—and I’m hearing that from people who normally wouldn’t listen to Liza), we jumped at the chance to talk with her about her work, about her mother, and about what role gay people play in her life. I think you’ll be surprised by what she has to say.
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 2 hours 53 min ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM