NYC Cancels Halloween Parade
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 31 2012 12:21 PM ET
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Tuesday that the annual Greenwich Village Halloween Parade will be canceled for the first time in its 39-year history as the city recuperates from the devastating blow Hurricane Sandy dealt when it came ashore Monday.
"Unfortunately, we just cannot spare the manpower from the NYPD and other city agencies to host the annual Greenwich Village Halloween parade," Bloomberg told news station NY1. Although the Mayor's initial statement left open the possibility for the parade to be rescheduled, the parade's official website announced later that the event was formally cancelled.
"For the first time in our 39 year history, the Mayor's Office of Emergency Management and the NYPD have CANCELLED the parade," reported the parade's official website. "We hope that everyone who would have come to the Parade is safe and that these who can volunteer to help out at one of the Emergency Outreach Centers near you. Will will surely miss all of you. Hallelujah Halloween!"
The parade was scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. tonight on 6th Ave., south of Spring St. and north of Canal.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 1 hour 3 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM