NYC Cancels Halloween Parade
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 31 2012 1:21 PM ET
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Tuesday that the annual Greenwich Village Halloween Parade will be canceled for the first time in its 39-year history as the city recuperates from the devastating blow Hurricane Sandy dealt when it came ashore Monday.
"Unfortunately, we just cannot spare the manpower from the NYPD and other city agencies to host the annual Greenwich Village Halloween parade," Bloomberg told news station NY1. Although the Mayor's initial statement left open the possibility for the parade to be rescheduled, the parade's official website announced later that the event was formally cancelled.
"For the first time in our 39 year history, the Mayor's Office of Emergency Management and the NYPD have CANCELLED the parade," reported the parade's official website. "We hope that everyone who would have come to the Parade is safe and that these who can volunteer to help out at one of the Emergency Outreach Centers near you. Will will surely miss all of you. Hallelujah Halloween!"
The parade was scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. tonight on 6th Ave., south of Spring St. and north of Canal.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 1 hour 44 min ago
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 2 hours 21 min ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM