American University's Student Body President Comes Out, Gets Lady Gaga's Support
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 09 2012 1:24 PM ET
Students at American University got a big surprise when the most recent student body president stepped down from the position earlier this month. Students had elected Tim McBride to serve last year, without realizing that McBride identifies as a woman. She came out as transgender publicly after serving her time as student body president.
McBride told ABC News in D.C., "If I could make the world a little more accepting and little more fairer, it would somehow make me feel complete." The 21-year-old said she feels like she's finally "in the right skin" after coming out and living openly as a woman.
"I go to school in an environment that's accepting. The hardest part for me was coming to terms with it in relation to my ego, in my relation to my ambitions and my dreams," she told ABC. "I realized as fulfilling as it was professionally to work on issues of equality and fairness, it only underscored my own internal struggles more."
She's been met with plenty of support from students (the university's student newspaper, The Eagle, published an essay from McBride about her struggle to come out) and LGBT activists (Lady Gaga's Born This Way Foundation tweeted support).
For more, visit ABC News D.C.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men â€” But There's a Catch
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 1 hour 40 min ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM