American University's Student Body President Comes Out, Gets Lady Gaga's Support
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 09 2012 12:24 PM ET
Students at American University got a big surprise when the most recent student body president stepped down from the position earlier this month. Students had elected Tim McBride to serve last year, without realizing that McBride identifies as a woman. She came out as transgender publicly after serving her time as student body president.
McBride told ABC News in D.C., "If I could make the world a little more accepting and little more fairer, it would somehow make me feel complete." The 21-year-old said she feels like she's finally "in the right skin" after coming out and living openly as a woman.
"I go to school in an environment that's accepting. The hardest part for me was coming to terms with it in relation to my ego, in my relation to my ambitions and my dreams," she told ABC. "I realized as fulfilling as it was professionally to work on issues of equality and fairness, it only underscored my own internal struggles more."
She's been met with plenty of support from students (the university's student newspaper, The Eagle, published an essay from McBride about her struggle to come out) and LGBT activists (Lady Gaga's Born This Way Foundation tweeted support).
For more, visit ABC News D.C.
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action 1 hour 24 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 2 hours 9 min ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 2 hours 9 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 2 hours 25 min ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM