LGBT Youth Face Pervasive But Decreasing Harassment, Says GLSEN Study
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 06 2012 3:50 PM ET
The Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network Wednesday released its annual National School Climate Survey, finding that while LGBT youth still face pervasive harassment in schools, 2011 saw a significant decrease in the number of assaults based on perceived sexual orientation.
"The 2011 survey marks a possible turning point in the school experiences of LGBT youth," said GLSEN senior director of research and strategic initiatives Joseph Kosciw. "But an alarming number of LGBT youth still face barriers that inhibit their ability to receive an education. And although we have seen an increase in school supports that can improve school climate for these youth, many of these young people reported being unable to access these supports in their schools."
The study, which surveyed more than 8,500 students from all 50 states, also found that in 2011, 81.9% of LGBT students reported being verbally harassed because of their sexual orientation. Almost 39% reported being physically harassed, and 18.3% reported being physically assaulted at school because of their sexual orientation.
Keeping with current data trends, almost two thirds of students whose gender does not conform to strict stereotypical presentations reported being verbally harassed. Some 27% of students reported being physically harassed in school as a result of their perceived gender identity.
Read more about the results here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 49 min 53 sec ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club 2 hours 43 min ago
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail June 19 2013 6:20 PM