Gallaudet Official Offered Chance to Return
BY Michelle Garcia
October 16 2012 5:23 PM ET
The president of Gallaudet University said he wants the chief diversity officer who was suspended after signing an anti-gay marriage petition to return to her post.
A statement issued Tuesday by Gallaudet president T. Alan Hurwitz extended an olive branch to Angela McCaskill, announcing that she could have her job back, The Washington Post reports. “Dr. McCaskill has been, and can continue to be, a valued member of this community and we are very much interested in working with everyone to come to a shared understanding in an environment that allows the community to rebound and move forward,” Hurwitz said.
McCaskill was put on paid administrative leave October 9 after refusing to apologize for signing a petition to place the marriage equality law on the ballot in Maryland.
“I am dismayed that Gallaudet University is still a university of intolerance, a university that manages by intimidation, a university that allows bullying among faculty, staff and students,” McCaskill said at a press conference in Annapolis Tuesday afternoon, with the assistance of an interpreter (Gallaudet is a university for people who are deaf or hard of hearing).
Hurwitz said in a statement last Thursday, "It recently came to my attention that Dr. McCaskill has participated in a legislative initiative that some feel is inappropriate for an individual serving as Chief Diversity Officer; however, other individuals feel differently. I will use the extended time while she is on administrative leave to determine the appropriate next steps taking into consideration the duties of this position at the university."
McCaskill and her husband signed the petition over the summer. The signatures became public this month, allowing two faculty members to discover their colleague had signed the petition.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- 3 Big Differences: Boy Scouts Versus Girl Scouts
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 31 min 39 sec ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 44 min 39 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 1 hour 5 min ago
- Youth BREAKING: Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 1 hour 24 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 1 hour 31 min ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 1 hour 56 min ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 2 hours 10 min ago