Indianapolis Gay Bar Possible Target of Drive-By Shooting
BY Camille Beredjick
July 23 2012 12:50 PM ET
Police are investigating a blown-out window at an Indianapolis gay bar as vandalism, though the owner says the bar was the target of a hate crime, The Indianapolis Star reports.
Around 9:30 p.m. Saturday, a large picture window shattered at Gregs, a gay bar in downtown Indianapolis. Police characterized the incident as “vandalism” with no suspects or witnesses. They say “possible gunfire” is to blame, though no bullet was found. No one was injured.
“It was obviously a bullet,” Phil Denton, the manager working at the time, told the Star. “We’ve had rocks thrown at us, and names shouted at us, but never before a bullet.” Denton said he and bar patrons believed a shot was fired from an eastbound car.
Denton added that gay bars have traditionally kept their windows covered to protect patrons’ privacy and as a safety precaution, but that Gregs and other local gay bars had uncovered their windows in recent years.
“The times being what they are, and the acceptance coming around, we decided it was time,” Denton said.
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 1 hour 25 min ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 2 hours 20 min ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 2 hours 52 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM