Arrest Made in Attack on L.A. Transgender Woman
BY Trudy Ring
June 21 2013 10:00 PM ET
Los Angeles police have arrested one suspect in the beating of a transgender woman in Hollywood May 31, TV station KTLA reports.
Nicol Shakhnazaryan, 21, of Los Angeles, was arrested Thursday on a charge of felony battery in the attack on Vivian Diego, who was beaten and kicked by four men about 2:15 a.m. as she walked to a subway station after ending her shift as a barista at Beso restaurant. She sustained major injuries to her face, head, and ribs. Shakhnazaryan remained in custody today.
Police are seeking the additional suspects with help from the FBI and are investigating the attack as a hate crime.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- The Advocate's 31 Favorite Films of Outfest 2015
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Op-ed: I'm a Lesbian Targeted by the Bathroom Police
- Rep. Steve King Wants Congress to Denounce Supreme Court's Marriage Equality Ruling
- 52 LGBT Superheroes and Villains