Judy Shepard Reveals 'Malice Toward None'
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 30 2013 5:45 PM ET
Judy Shepard, whose son Matthew was the victim of a notorious antigay hate crime, will take the stage at Washington, D.C.'s Ford's Theatre tonight beginning at 7 o'clock Eastern to discuss her ongoing work to fight bigotry and hate in the wake of her son's brutal 1998 murder.
This event is the first in a series of Monday night panel discussions addressing American diversity as part of The Lincoln Legacy Project at Ford's — a multiyear effort designed to encourage people of differing viewpoints to engage in meaningful and respectful dialogue about equality and understanding.
Shepard is the founding president of the Matthew Shepard Foundation, where she served as the executive director for a decade beginning in 1999, and where she still serves as board president. Shepard, already a prolific speaker and author of the 2009 memoir The Meaning of Matthew, will be joined onstage by NPR and ABC correspondent Cokie Roberts, an award-winning journalist with more than 40 years' experience in broadcasting.
Ford's Theatre will live-stream the event, titled "With Malice Toward None: Judy Shepard, A Mother's Response to Hate." Watch that live feed below, starting at 7 p.m. Eastern, 4 p.m. Pacific.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM