Man Wants Job at NYPD, Says Gays Should Be Locked Up
BY Lucas Grindley
June 12 2012 6:25 PM ET
Should gay people be locked up? When a potential applicant for the New York Police Academy answered yes to that question, he was turned away.
And now the New York Post reports that the Muslim-American who lost that potential job is anonymously suing the NYPD, claiming religious discrimination.
This question of whether discrimination is actually religious liberty is surfacing all over the country, with a New Mexico court ruling earlier this month that a wedding photographer couldn't cite the Bible as a reason to deny service to a customer because of a state anti-discrimination law.
And in several cases of school teachers using Facebook to broadcast statements against same-sex marriage and homosexuality in general, lawyers have argued it's free speech that shouldn't lead to losing their jobs.
The lawyer in the New York case also argues religious freedom in the Post's story, saying that a history of advocating for jailing gay people doesn't allow the NYPD to "discriminate against someone because they have a view you do not like."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 1 hour 42 min ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM