Man Wants Job at NYPD, Says Gays Should Be Locked Up
BY Lucas Grindley
June 12 2012 6:25 PM ET
Should gay people be locked up? When a potential applicant for the New York Police Academy answered yes to that question, he was turned away.
And now the New York Post reports that the Muslim-American who lost that potential job is anonymously suing the NYPD, claiming religious discrimination.
This question of whether discrimination is actually religious liberty is surfacing all over the country, with a New Mexico court ruling earlier this month that a wedding photographer couldn't cite the Bible as a reason to deny service to a customer because of a state anti-discrimination law.
And in several cases of school teachers using Facebook to broadcast statements against same-sex marriage and homosexuality in general, lawyers have argued it's free speech that shouldn't lead to losing their jobs.
The lawyer in the New York case also argues religious freedom in the Post's story, saying that a history of advocating for jailing gay people doesn't allow the NYPD to "discriminate against someone because they have a view you do not like."
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club 40 min 38 sec ago
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other 2 hours 29 min ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 6:51 PM
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 6:20 PM
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM