New Jersey Teacher Posts Antigay Facebook Rant
BY Julie Bolcer
October 14 2011 9:10 AM ET
A high school teacher in New Jersey took to Facebook, where she posted that “homosexuality is a perverted spirit” and complained about recognition of October as LGBT History Month in school.
The New York Times reports on the controversy that erupted Thursday in North Jersey.
“The teacher, Viki Knox, posted a photo of a display from the school, Union High School in Union Township, on her personal Facebook page last week. It included photos of Virginia Woolf, Harvey Milk, and Neil Patrick Harris. When a friend asked if the school had really put it up, Ms. Knox wrote that it had, and “I’m pitching a fit!”
According to the Times, Knox, a special education teacher, defended her views against other Facebook users with references to God and Christianity. Her Facebook page was removed from public view and she did not respond to messages. The school district is investigating.
Garden State Equality, the statewide LGBT lobbying group, obtained a copy of the removed Facebook content from John Paragano, an attorney who captured it. The group demanded that the school district remove Knox and questioned her ability to enforce the state’s tough new antibullying law.
At one point in the conversation, Knox said, “Homosexuality is a perverted spirit that has existed from the beginning of creation…. I know sin and it breeds like cancer!”
"Union is not South Orange/Maplewood where one out of four families consist of two Mommies or daddies,” she said, in reference to two nearby towns with sizable gay populations. “Why parade your unnatural immoral behaviors before the rest of us? I/we do not have to accept anything, anyone, any behavior, or any choices! I do not have to tolerate anything others wish to do."
While the comments represent the first known controversy for Knox, the Human Rights Campaign reports that the teacher previously used social media to express opposition to gay rights. She criticized the repeal of the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy on September 20 on Twitter.
“DON’T ASK, DON’T TELL!?!” she tweeted. “ARE THEY SERIOUS? GOD IS NOT PLEASED AND NEITHER AM I!!! THE END IS NEAR!!!”
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Gay Women - News & Culture for Lesbian, Bisexual, and Trans Women
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM