Virginia: Doctor Recommends State Pay for Inmates Gender Reassignment Surgery
BY Charles Hicks
July 05 2012 7:25 PM ET
An endocrinologist has recommended full gender reassignment surgery for a Virginia inmate seeking a state-funded transition from male to female.
Christina Gherghe, MD, of the University of Virginia suggested this week that prison doctors perform a orchiectomy — the surgical removal of the testicles — for Ophelia De'Lonta. Gherghe was hired by the state to provide a recommendation in De'Lonta's case.
De'Lonta, who has served 33 years of a 70-year sentence for robbery, drugs and weapons charges, filed a lawsuit against the state in 2011 for failing to treat her gender identity disorder. De'Lonta has already attempted self-castration, and required 21 stitches following her attempt. The 51-year-old has not ruled out another self-castration attempt if the state rules against state-funded gender-reassignment surgery.
Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli is expected to oppose Gherghe's analysis, according to NBC12 News, since the state has said gender-reassignment surgery is not the only treatment method for gender identity disorder.
If the Virginia department of corrections rules in De'Lonta's favor, it will be the first time the state of Viringia has funded a sex-change operation.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 21 min 36 sec ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 55 min 47 sec ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 55 min 47 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 55 min 57 sec ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM