European Parliament Condemns Violence Against LGBT People in Africa
BY Charles Hicks
July 06 2012 6:41 PM ET
The European Parliament, the European Union's legislative wing, passed a resolution yesterday to condemn violence against LGBT people in Africa, specifically lesbians.
The resolution came at the heel of increasing reports of "corrective rape" for lesbians and arrests of LGBT people in Cameroon. Uganda and Nigeria were also noted as countries in which the situation for lesbians is worsening.
Support for the resolution was broad, with representatives of several European Union member countries as well as European Commissioner Connie Hedegaard speaking on its behalf.
However, the European People's Party, a center-right group, withdrew support from the resolution before debate commenced. Some party members, according to Pink News, said they did not wish to mix criticism of violence with nondiscrimination.
Twenty-seven African countries consider being a gay female a crime, and thirty-eight criminalize male homosexuality as well. South Africa is the only country in Africa to have legalized same-sex marriage, and its distinction is not likely to change anytime soon.
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 1 hour 13 min ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 2 hours 8 min ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 2 hours 40 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 2 hours 49 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM