Lesbian Army Captain Berated at Military Ball
BY Michelle Garcia
April 23 2012 6:55 PM ET
A lesbian Army captain dancing with her girlfriend at a military ball last weekend was shoved by her command sergeant major and told that she is an "abomination" at the event, according to the Huffington Post.
Author A.J. Walkley reports that an unnamed captain took to Facebook to tell others about the altercation. When the command sergeant major told the two women to get off the dance floor, the lesbian captain reminded him that "don't ask, don't tell" had been repealed for months. He replied that they were an "abomination" and a "disgrace," and continued to chew her out. She said she remained calm, but when she told him that his words were out of line, he shoved her hard across the dance floor.
The following day, the command sergeant major called the captain's girlfriend to apologize, and say that he accepts them being gay, and that the incident was a "misunderstanding."
The lesbian captain, however, has filed a report with the military police, despite the command sergeant major's pleas to move on past the incident.
"I'm not going to let it go because if I do, then that sends the message that it's okay for anyone to assault LGBT servicemen and women," she said according to Huffington Post.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 16 min 47 sec ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM