Lesbian Army Captain Berated at Military Ball
BY Michelle Garcia
April 23 2012 6:55 PM ET
A lesbian Army captain dancing with her girlfriend at a military ball last weekend was shoved by her command sergeant major and told that she is an "abomination" at the event, according to the Huffington Post.
Author A.J. Walkley reports that an unnamed captain took to Facebook to tell others about the altercation. When the command sergeant major told the two women to get off the dance floor, the lesbian captain reminded him that "don't ask, don't tell" had been repealed for months. He replied that they were an "abomination" and a "disgrace," and continued to chew her out. She said she remained calm, but when she told him that his words were out of line, he shoved her hard across the dance floor.
The following day, the command sergeant major called the captain's girlfriend to apologize, and say that he accepts them being gay, and that the incident was a "misunderstanding."
The lesbian captain, however, has filed a report with the military police, despite the command sergeant major's pleas to move on past the incident.
"I'm not going to let it go because if I do, then that sends the message that it's okay for anyone to assault LGBT servicemen and women," she said according to Huffington Post.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM