Lesbian Army Captain Berated at Military Ball
BY Michelle Garcia
April 23 2012 6:55 PM ET
A lesbian Army captain dancing with her girlfriend at a military ball last weekend was shoved by her command sergeant major and told that she is an "abomination" at the event, according to the Huffington Post.
Author A.J. Walkley reports that an unnamed captain took to Facebook to tell others about the altercation. When the command sergeant major told the two women to get off the dance floor, the lesbian captain reminded him that "don't ask, don't tell" had been repealed for months. He replied that they were an "abomination" and a "disgrace," and continued to chew her out. She said she remained calm, but when she told him that his words were out of line, he shoved her hard across the dance floor.
The following day, the command sergeant major called the captain's girlfriend to apologize, and say that he accepts them being gay, and that the incident was a "misunderstanding."
The lesbian captain, however, has filed a report with the military police, despite the command sergeant major's pleas to move on past the incident.
"I'm not going to let it go because if I do, then that sends the message that it's okay for anyone to assault LGBT servicemen and women," she said according to Huffington Post.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 4 min 33 sec ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 49 min 33 sec ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 2 hours 35 sec ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 2 hours 3 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 2 hours 47 min ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 2 hours 54 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM