BYU Students' It Gets Better Video Did Not Violate Policy
BY Michelle Garcia
April 10 2012 2:12 PM ET
Students at Brigham Young University who posted an "It Gets Better" video recently, have not violated the school's honor code, which condemns homosexuality, a spokeswoman for the school says.
The campus's unofficial LGBT student group released the video, which includes several students talking about being LGBT and Mormon. BYU's official honor code states that "homosexual behavior is inappropriate and violates the honor code. Homosexual behavior includes not only sexual relations between members of the same sex, but all forms of physical intimacy that give expression to homosexual feelings." The school is affiliated with the Church of Latter-day Saints.
Carri Jenkins, an assistant to the president of BYU, said the video alone is not cause for disciplinary action against the participating students, CNN reports. She added that the honor code is "based on conduct, not on feeling, and if same-gender attraction is only stated, that is not an honor code issue."
The nearly 10-minute video has been watched more than 318,000 times on YouTube as of Tuesday morning.
Watch the video below:
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM