Presbyterian Group Rejects Court Ruling, Supports Minister on Gay Weddings
BY Trudy Ring
May 16 2012 5:07 PM ET
The governing body for Northern California Presbyterian churches has defied the denomination’s highest court and refused to rebuke a minister for performing same-sex weddings.
The Permanent Judicial Commission of the Presbyterian Church (USA) had ruled in February that the Reverend Jane Adams Spahr of San Francisco should be rebuked by her presbytery for performing 16 such weddings during the period in 2008 that same-sex marriage was legal in California. The denomination allows ministers to bless gay unions but not to characterize them as marriages.
But Tuesday, members of the Presbytery of the Redwoods voted 74-18 to reject the ruling and support Spahr, the Los Angeles Times reports. Church officials said they believe it is the first time a presbytery has gone against the Permanent Judicial Commission.
“Today, this presbytery said we’re equal,” Spahr told the Times. “Love and justice became friends here today.”
“If the rebuke against Janie had been delivered today, then all ministers who marry same-gender couples in jurisdictions where it is legal would have a disciplinary precedent against them,” said the Reverend Beverly Brewster, one of Spahr’s attorneys. “That’s what we avoided today.”
The Presbyterian General Assembly, the denomination’s overall governing body, is scheduled to consider revising its stance on same-sex marriage at its biannual meeting in July. Two years ago the General Assembly approved the ordination of openly gay clergy, including those in relationships. Spahr, a longtime clergy member, is lesbian but was not out at the time of her ordination.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM