Tyler Clementi's Family: No Suit Over Suicide
BY Trudy Ring
October 05 2012 1:45 PM ET
The parents of Tyler Clementi have decided not to file any civil suit in connection with the gay Rutgers University student’s suicide, New Jersey’s Star-Ledger reports.
Clementi’s parents, Joe and Jane Clementi, will not sue his roommate, Dharun Ravi, who spied on him with a webcam during an intimate encounter with another man, nor will they sue the university or any other person or entity, their lawyer said Thursday.
“The Clementi family made a considered decision to not pursue civil suits,” attorney Paul Mainardi told the Star-Ledger. “They are devoting their energies to the positive work of the Tyler Clementi Foundation.” The foundation’s mission includes antibullying efforts, suicide prevention, and assistance for LGBT youth.
Tyler Clementi, a freshman at Rutgers, committed suicide in September 2010 by jumping off the George Washington Bridge between New York and New Jersey after he learned of the webcam spying. Ravi was convicted this year of invasion of privacy, bias crimes, and hindering prosecution, but served only 20 days in jail, a sentence the Clementi family considered too light.
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 3:00 AM
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2:19 AM
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2:10 AM
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM