13-Year-Old: The Easy Bake Oven Is Not Only For Girls
BY Michelle Garcia
December 04 2012 4:00 PM ET
A 13-year-old girl wants the toymaker Hasbro to be more inclusive when it comes to marketing and selling products like the Easy-Bake Oven.
Mckenna Pope's younger brother likes cooking, and wants an oven for Christmas, but feels discouraged because the box and commercials only features girls.
"I thought that as a society, we had far moved past that, but we continue to enforce the stereotype that men don't cook, they work," Pope said in a video posted last week.
Pope said she wants her brother to know that it's not wrong to want to be a chef, even though the colors on the Easy-Bake Oven box may lead one to believe that cooking is only for girls. She, and 26,000 others who have signed her petition, want Hasbro to introduce Easy-Bake Ovens in a variety of gender non-specific colors, and to include boys playing with the toy in packaging and marketing materials.
- Television WATCH: The First Trailer for HBO's Adaptation of The Normal Heart 2 hours 13 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: 'Not Looking' Episode 1 2 hours 18 min ago
- Television Juliet Mills: Back to Nannying, With a Twist 2 hours 41 min ago
- Commentary What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto 9:15 AM
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 7:00 AM
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 5:00 AM