13-Year-Old: The Easy Bake Oven Is Not Only For Girls
BY Michelle Garcia
December 04 2012 4:00 PM ET
A 13-year-old girl wants the toymaker Hasbro to be more inclusive when it comes to marketing and selling products like the Easy-Bake Oven.
Mckenna Pope's younger brother likes cooking, and wants an oven for Christmas, but feels discouraged because the box and commercials only features girls.
"I thought that as a society, we had far moved past that, but we continue to enforce the stereotype that men don't cook, they work," Pope said in a video posted last week.
Pope said she wants her brother to know that it's not wrong to want to be a chef, even though the colors on the Easy-Bake Oven box may lead one to believe that cooking is only for girls. She, and 26,000 others who have signed her petition, want Hasbro to introduce Easy-Bake Ovens in a variety of gender non-specific colors, and to include boys playing with the toy in packaging and marketing materials.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- The Advocate's 31 Favorite Films of Outfest 2015
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- Op-ed: I'm a Lesbian Targeted by the Bathroom Police
- Rep. Steve King Wants Congress to Denounce Supreme Court's Marriage Equality Ruling
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet