13-Year-Old: The Easy Bake Oven Is Not Only For Girls
BY Michelle Garcia
December 04 2012 4:00 PM ET
A 13-year-old girl wants the toymaker Hasbro to be more inclusive when it comes to marketing and selling products like the Easy-Bake Oven.
Mckenna Pope's younger brother likes cooking, and wants an oven for Christmas, but feels discouraged because the box and commercials only features girls.
"I thought that as a society, we had far moved past that, but we continue to enforce the stereotype that men don't cook, they work," Pope said in a video posted last week.
Pope said she wants her brother to know that it's not wrong to want to be a chef, even though the colors on the Easy-Bake Oven box may lead one to believe that cooking is only for girls. She, and 26,000 others who have signed her petition, want Hasbro to introduce Easy-Bake Ovens in a variety of gender non-specific colors, and to include boys playing with the toy in packaging and marketing materials.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 32 min 56 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 1 hour 2 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 1 hour 54 min ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 7:59 AM
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM