Teen Taken Off Life Support After Suicide Attempt
BY Michelle Garcia
January 29 2013 7:22 PM ET
Jadin Bell, a gay teenager from Oregon who attempted to hang himself after facing extreme bullying by peers, has been taken off life support.
Nine days ago, Bell, a 15-year-old high school sophomore, went to the Central Elementary School playground in La Grande, Ore., where he hanged himself. A passerby attempted to rescue him, and he was taken to Doernbecher Children's Hospital in Portland for care. He was put on life support, according to KATU News.
A family friend told KATU that Bell asked his parents to home school him because the bullying online and in school became so intense. Bell was also reluctant to report the bullies to school administrators. Eventually, authorities learned of his tormentors and had started to investigate his case when he went to hang himself.
At the hospital, doctors detected little brain activity. He was taken off of life support over the weekend.
For help with depression, suicidal thoughts, or coming out, please visit the Trevor Project at TheTrevorProject.org or call its Lifeline at 866-488-7386.
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club 1 hour 49 min ago
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 6:51 PM
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 6:20 PM
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM