Forty Under 40: Sports
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 05 2009 11:00 PM ET
Natasha Kai | Soccer player | 26 | Kahuku, Hawaii
Instantly recognizable for the sleeve of tattoos on her right arm, Hawaiian soccer player Natasha Kai has also become known for her rebellious image and her intensity on the field. One of six children, Kai began her soccer career at age 7 in local leagues in Kahuku, on the island of Oahu. Nearly 20 years later, Kai has accomplished what most athletes only dream of -- winning an Olympic gold medal, hers at the 2008 games in Beijing. Playing as forward for the U.S. national team, she became a sensation on gay news sites last year after coming out during an interview with NBC.com.
Kai explained in that interview that a particularly stressful breakup with a girlfriend had nearly prevented her from making it onto the 2007 World Cup roster. She managed to get her head on "straight" just in time to make the team, though, and has gone on to become one of the world's most famous female athletes from Hawaii.
- Media BBC to Air Buffy The Vampire Slayer Retrospective 16 min 43 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! 22 min 2 sec ago
- Sports Chicago Gay Hockey Association Wins at Celebrating Christmas 52 min 8 sec ago
- Entertainment News Paul Rudd On Witnessing a Drag Queen Brawl 1 hour 19 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Airline 1 hour 21 min ago
- The Wedding Channel Gay Couples to Wed Atop 2014 Rose Parade Float 1 hour 53 min ago
- Music The Shondes: On Mixing Music & Politics 1 hour 54 min ago