Five More NFL Players Say They'd Be OK With Gay Teammate
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 06 2012 12:29 PM ET
Five current NFL players said they would welcome gay teammates, OutSports reported Wednesday. Ray Edwards of the Atlanta Falcons, George Wilson of the Buffalo Bills, Takeo Spikes of the San Diego Chargers, Taiwan Jones of the Oakland Raiders, and Kamerion Wimbley of the Tennessee Titans all said they would have no problem playing alongside gay teammates.
San Diego Charger Spikes actually said he would prefer if closeted teammates came out as gay, "Because I like to be transparent," he said. "If it's something that's close to your heart, everybody should be transparent about it. You may not agree with what everybody does in life, but you can respect it."
Several players said they had gay or lesbian friends and family members. Ray Edwards, a defensive end for the Atlanta Falcons, said it wouldn't matter to him if a teammate was gay.
"Everybody has what they want to do. As long as they don't [hit on] me, I'm fine. We can hang out, have fun. We can kick it. I actually have a lot of friends who are gay. It's fine with me. I don't have a problem with it at all."
Kamerion Wimbley attributed his gay-friendly attitude to his ex-girlfriend, who helped him understand that it's OK to be gay. "I would feel like [coming out] is the right thing to do," Wimbley said. "He's letting everybody know his sexuality. He doesn't have to hide and feel like he has to be somebody else. He can be himself."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 2 hours 3 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 2 hours 48 min ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 6:15 PM