Five More NFL Players Say They'd Be OK With Gay Teammate
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 06 2012 11:29 AM ET
Five current NFL players said they would welcome gay teammates, OutSports reported Wednesday. Ray Edwards of the Atlanta Falcons, George Wilson of the Buffalo Bills, Takeo Spikes of the San Diego Chargers, Taiwan Jones of the Oakland Raiders, and Kamerion Wimbley of the Tennessee Titans all said they would have no problem playing alongside gay teammates.
San Diego Charger Spikes actually said he would prefer if closeted teammates came out as gay, "Because I like to be transparent," he said. "If it's something that's close to your heart, everybody should be transparent about it. You may not agree with what everybody does in life, but you can respect it."
Several players said they had gay or lesbian friends and family members. Ray Edwards, a defensive end for the Atlanta Falcons, said it wouldn't matter to him if a teammate was gay.
"Everybody has what they want to do. As long as they don't [hit on] me, I'm fine. We can hang out, have fun. We can kick it. I actually have a lot of friends who are gay. It's fine with me. I don't have a problem with it at all."
Kamerion Wimbley attributed his gay-friendly attitude to his ex-girlfriend, who helped him understand that it's OK to be gay. "I would feel like [coming out] is the right thing to do," Wimbley said. "He's letting everybody know his sexuality. He doesn't have to hide and feel like he has to be somebody else. He can be himself."
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM