Five More NFL Players Say They'd Be OK With Gay Teammate
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 06 2012 12:29 PM ET
Five current NFL players said they would welcome gay teammates, OutSports reported Wednesday. Ray Edwards of the Atlanta Falcons, George Wilson of the Buffalo Bills, Takeo Spikes of the San Diego Chargers, Taiwan Jones of the Oakland Raiders, and Kamerion Wimbley of the Tennessee Titans all said they would have no problem playing alongside gay teammates.
San Diego Charger Spikes actually said he would prefer if closeted teammates came out as gay, "Because I like to be transparent," he said. "If it's something that's close to your heart, everybody should be transparent about it. You may not agree with what everybody does in life, but you can respect it."
Several players said they had gay or lesbian friends and family members. Ray Edwards, a defensive end for the Atlanta Falcons, said it wouldn't matter to him if a teammate was gay.
"Everybody has what they want to do. As long as they don't [hit on] me, I'm fine. We can hang out, have fun. We can kick it. I actually have a lot of friends who are gay. It's fine with me. I don't have a problem with it at all."
Kamerion Wimbley attributed his gay-friendly attitude to his ex-girlfriend, who helped him understand that it's OK to be gay. "I would feel like [coming out] is the right thing to do," Wimbley said. "He's letting everybody know his sexuality. He doesn't have to hide and feel like he has to be somebody else. He can be himself."
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 19 min 56 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 42 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 58 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 15 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 33 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 35 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM