Why Collins Wore Number 98
BY Trudy Ring
April 29 2013 4:48 PM ET
While Jason Collins just came out as gay today, he was making a subtle statement of solidarity with LGBT people through the uniform number he wore with the Boston Celtics and Washington Wizards.
Collins wore number 98 in tribute to Matthew Shepard, the gay Wyoming college student who was murdered in an infamous hate crime in 1998. “The number has great significance to the gay community,” Collins writes in his coming-out piece for Sports Illustrated. He further notes that the Trevor Project, which aims to prevent suicide among LGBT young people, was founded that year.
“This amazing organization provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention to kids struggling with their sexual identity,” he writes. “Trust me, I know that struggle. I’ve struggled with some insane logic. When I put on my jersey I was making a statement to myself, my family and my friends.”
Collins was once cagey about why he wore number 98 with the Celtics and Wizards, having worn 34 and 35 with other teams. He joked to reporters he chose the high number to make life more difficult for referees, who have to count off a player’s number on their fingers when they call a foul.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- 22 Russians Who We Won't Let Vladimir Putin Forget Were LGBT
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM