WATCH: Sportscaster Denies Calling Kansas Jayhawks 'Gayhawks'
BY Daniel Reynolds
December 10 2013 3:07 PM ET
A Kansas City, Mo., broadcaster is denying that he made an antigay comment about a men’s basketball team, after a video clip of him saying the offensive word sparked an online firestorm.
A YouTube video shows Jack Harry, a KSHB sportscaster in Kansas City, referring to the Kansas Jayhawks as the “Gayhawks” during a live news broadcast last weekend.
In a follow-up video that addresses the controversy, Harry claims he never said the offensive word.
"I've had my go-around with Jayhawk fans, but I would never say what I have been accused of," Harry claimed.
KHSB also posted a comment on Facebook that defends Harry.
"While Jack Harry is opinionated, he knows the difference between legitimate sports discussion and unacceptable, uncalled for language,” the post stated, linking to Harry's video. “After speaking at length with Jack, we believe Jack when he tells us that is not what he said.”
“We stand by Jack and encourage him to speak his mind when it comes to sports in Kansas City and beyond.”
See the both videos below.
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Partner of Sydney Siege Hero Remembers His 'Soulmate'
- Op-ed: How Tom Saved Finland