Super Bowl Ads: Best and Worst Ever
BY Advocate Contributors
January 30 2014 1:00 AM ET
DANCES WITH BEARS
Ellen DeGeneres did this adorable Super Bowl ad for Beats. Well, technically she debuted it on her show in the video above. In it, we get to watch Ellen do one the things she loves best — dance.
DADDY LOVES FASHION
This Doritos ad from 2013 got mixed reviews, with some saying it played into gender role stereotypes while others saying it challenged them. Decide for yourself in the video above.
Hey — this is the Super Bowl, two men can't do that Lady and the Tramp spaghetti thing! In this 2007 Super Bowl spot, two mechanics chomp at opposite ends of the same Snickers bar and — oops! — kiss each other when they meet in the middle. In the version that aired during the game, one of the guys slams a car hood down on the other guy's head. As you may have guessed, LGBT activists were not laughing. In the video of the commercial posted above, all the alternate endings are included, though some never aired and were instead available online.
- WATCH: Texas Airline Crowd Tackles Antigay Attacker
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- EXCLUSIVE: Bette Midler Covers TLC's 'Waterfalls'
- Alaska High Schooler: Congressman's Apology 'Doesn't Mean Crap'
- Hot Sheet: Divas and Demons
- Op-ed: I Am a Straight, Female Sister of Perpetual Indulgence (And You Can Be, Too!)