BY Advocate.com Editors
March 04 2009 12:00 AM ET
I often get guff from traveling companions because I like to go to the movies when I'm on vacation. "We're in Maui," my now-ex-boyfriend once scoffed, "and you want to go sit in a dark room and watch Casino Royale ?" Yes, I do. So there.
So it's no surprise that my favorite getaways often revolve around gay film festivals. They're a magical mix of three things I love: movies, travel, and gays. I've done festivals as a volunteer, a filmmaker, a journalist, and a regular patron, and, like watching Beyoncé's "Single Ladies" video, it never seems to get old. You can have my gay film festival lanyard when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
The love affair began in the early 1990s, when I signed up to volunteer at Outfest in my hometown of Los Angeles. It seemed like a great way to meet nice, smart, potentially datable guys. A favorite memory involves stealing kisses with a fellow volunteer in a storeroom at Outfest's main venue, the Directors Guild theater complex in West Hollywood, while unpacking promotional teddy bears for RSVP cruises. Fluffing those plush bears was to us what working that pottery wheel was to Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze in Ghost . And just like Swayze's character in Ghost , the guy vanished into thin air not long afterward. Still, I'm a big proponent of film-fest flirtation because you always have an opening line: "Seen any full-frontal nudity lately? Want to?"
Since that first volunteer stint, Outfest has been my favorite time of the year -- like Christmas, but instead of Santa you've got Bruce Vilanch hosting the big award show. Luckily, Outfest doesn't expect monogamy. In the last few years I've built trips around festivals in New York, Seattle, San Francisco, Miami, and Austin. In Miami, the screenings are held just a few blocks from the gay beach, which comes in handy if a movie's a real downer, like say last year's Julianne Moore gut-churner Savage Grace . You can walk right into the ocean, never to be heard from again.
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 56 sec ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 12 min 14 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Whet Your Appetite for Gay Polo's Biggest Event 13 min 39 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel Coast Guard Academy Sees First Same-Sex Engagement Announcement 17 min 28 sec ago
- Television Behind The Candelabra Leads Golden Globes' TV Awards With 4 Noms 1 hour 1 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 2 hours 55 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM