It's time to two-step: Top 10 Gay C&W Bars
BY Aefa Mulholland
March 26 2009 11:00 PM ET
Queer country cool
moseyed into the spotlight with the runaway success of
, but gay country bars had been steering us through their doors
for decades before Ennis and Jack hit the big screen. We tip
our hats to the fabulous herd of country bars that rope us back
in over and over again; from the East Coast to the midst of the
Big D, we present the country's Top 10 country bars.
1. THE ROUND UP SALOON, DALLAS
The best country bar in the nation, hands down, the Round Up is
all you can ask for in a C&W bar. Hot cowgirls and cowboys
swirl the floor of this country-western dance delight nightly.
Karaoke stars in the Victorian Parlor Bar. Shots hit the spot
at the rowdy Tequila Bar. Six bars with different characters
attract a hot crowd of local good ol' boys and girls.
2. HOEDOWN'S, ATLANTA
The Daisy Duke of country bars, Hoedown's is a sassy
Southern stop. A friendly atmosphere and free two-step lessons
help newcomers feel at home. Located in the Midtown Promenade
shopping center across from Piedmont Park, Hoedown's has
been doing the do-si-do for over 10 years. It's one of the
only truly 100 percent country-and-western gay bars in the
3. BRAZOS RIVER BOTTOM, HOUSTON
The BRB is a sizzling-hot haven of behatted hotties. Three
bars, a packed dance floor, friendly bartenders, and even a
boot-shine stand lure the boys in for a Houston hoedown. The
jukebox bar is a quieter option. Excellent shows are scheduled,
and Saturday nights are crammed with friendly folks who are
light on their feet.
4. THE FINISHLINE, OKLAHOMA CITY
Open daily (at high noon, of course,) the Finishline at the
Habana Inn is the place to kick up your heels on Friday and
Saturday nights -- with a large dance floor, big screen TV,
darts, and two pool tables. On special events weekends, such as
Rodeo Weekend, the entire hotel is crammed with cowboys.
5. CHARLIE'S, DENVER
Catch a Broncos game or kick up some dust during an IGRA Bust
and Show night at this "straight-friendly" gay
country-western and pop dance club located in the heart of
Denver, within walking distance of the Colorado State Capitol
and just minutes from downtown. Careful which part of the bar
you go into; Charlie's offers a pair of deuces -- there's a
techno and R&B side to the bar, too.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- Perez Hilton Coming to Reality TV as a Gay Dad
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 58 min 32 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 59 min 1 sec ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 59 min 15 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM