Gay California Assembly Speaker Addresses LGBT Grads
BY Michelle Garcia
June 18 2012 3:54 PM ET
The gay speaker of the California state assembly delivered the keynote address last week at the University of California, Los Angeles's Lavender Graduation.
Speaker John A. Pérez offered encouraging words to the 44 LGBT students graduating from UCLA. He also asked the new graduates to keep fighting for causes such as the Employment Non-Discrimination Act and transgender rights.
The full text of the speech is below:
“Good afternoon. I am honored to be here as part of UCLA’s 15th Lavender Graduation. This campus has been a leader on LGBT issues for more than 50 years, and the Lavender Graduations continue to be an expression of that commitment.
The word ‘lavender’ was once code to deride and demean gay people. In some antigay hysteria during the 1952 presidential campaign, it was even suggested that a Republican win would -- quote -- get all those ‘lavender lads’ out of the State Department -- unquote.
- BREAKING: New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- Pastor Defrocked for Performing Son's Same-Sex Marriage
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Women Op-ed: Silencing a #SharedGirlHood on Social Media 21 min 36 sec ago
- Politics Putin's Top Priority: 'Equal Terms' for Olympic Athletes 25 min 52 sec ago
- Travel Wanna Go to the SAG Awards in L.A.? 30 min 30 sec ago
- Activism HRC Donates $100K to Support Russian LGBTs 38 min 13 sec ago
- Religion Pastor Defrocked for Performing Son's Same-Sex Marriage 1 hour 2 min ago
- Women WATCH: Who's in the Mood for a Jennifer Lawrence / Butt Plug story? 1 hour 8 min ago
- Women WATCH: Out Sochi Olympics Delegate Caitlin Cahow On Going to Russia 1 hour 45 min ago