WATCH: Trevor Project Launches 'Talk to Me' Campaign
BY Trudy Ring
September 04 2012 7:21 PM ET
The Trevor Project has launched its “Talk to Me” campaign for conversation, which asks people to pledge to be supportive listeners for LGBT or questioning young people who need someone to talk to.
The campaign, which runs through September, is in observance of National Suicide Prevention Month. The Trevor Project operates a 24-hour suicide prevention hotline.
“It is vital that we recognize our own individual ability to help prevent the tragedy of suicide, said Abbe Land, Trevor Project executive director and CEO. “At the Trevor Project, we are especially concerned about the risks facing young people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning, but ‘Talk to Me’ is for all of us: parents, friends, family members, coworkers, teachers, and students. We all have the ability to let another person know that they are not alone and that we genuinely care about their health and well-being.”
The campaign also asks supporters to wear “Talk to Me” T-shirts and other gear, post online badges or sticky notes with the words, and write letters to newspapers and legislators about the need for funding inclusive suicide prevention programs.
Glee star Kevin McHale appears in a public service announcement for the campaign. Watch below.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 14 min 24 sec ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 16 min 56 sec ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 1 hour 1 min ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 1 hour 8 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 2 hours 11 min ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 2 hours 28 min ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 2 hours 38 min ago