WATCH: Trevor Project Launches 'Talk to Me' Campaign
BY Trudy Ring
September 04 2012 7:21 PM ET
The Trevor Project has launched its “Talk to Me” campaign for conversation, which asks people to pledge to be supportive listeners for LGBT or questioning young people who need someone to talk to.
The campaign, which runs through September, is in observance of National Suicide Prevention Month. The Trevor Project operates a 24-hour suicide prevention hotline.
“It is vital that we recognize our own individual ability to help prevent the tragedy of suicide, said Abbe Land, Trevor Project executive director and CEO. “At the Trevor Project, we are especially concerned about the risks facing young people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning, but ‘Talk to Me’ is for all of us: parents, friends, family members, coworkers, teachers, and students. We all have the ability to let another person know that they are not alone and that we genuinely care about their health and well-being.”
The campaign also asks supporters to wear “Talk to Me” T-shirts and other gear, post online badges or sticky notes with the words, and write letters to newspapers and legislators about the need for funding inclusive suicide prevention programs.
Glee star Kevin McHale appears in a public service announcement for the campaign. Watch below.
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Commentary Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service 6:00 AM
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 3:00 AM
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2:19 AM
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2:10 AM
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM