WATCH: Trevor Project Launches 'Talk to Me' Campaign
BY Trudy Ring
September 04 2012 7:21 PM ET
The Trevor Project has launched its “Talk to Me” campaign for conversation, which asks people to pledge to be supportive listeners for LGBT or questioning young people who need someone to talk to.
The campaign, which runs through September, is in observance of National Suicide Prevention Month. The Trevor Project operates a 24-hour suicide prevention hotline.
“It is vital that we recognize our own individual ability to help prevent the tragedy of suicide, said Abbe Land, Trevor Project executive director and CEO. “At the Trevor Project, we are especially concerned about the risks facing young people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning, but ‘Talk to Me’ is for all of us: parents, friends, family members, coworkers, teachers, and students. We all have the ability to let another person know that they are not alone and that we genuinely care about their health and well-being.”
The campaign also asks supporters to wear “Talk to Me” T-shirts and other gear, post online badges or sticky notes with the words, and write letters to newspapers and legislators about the need for funding inclusive suicide prevention programs.
Glee star Kevin McHale appears in a public service announcement for the campaign. Watch below.
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
- WATCH: For Father's Day, This 10-Year-Old Wants Job Security for Her Gay Dads
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM