WATCH: Touching Video Reminds Us What It's Like to Grow Up Gay
BY Lucas Grindley
October 30 2012 2:39 PM ET
The often unseen moments of alienation felt by LGBT youth are assembled in a touching web video, which comes from activists in the Netherlands but that will feel relatable to anyone who grew up queer.
The video's message, and its title, is "Everyone Is Different." It comes from a Dutch website for LGBT youth, called www.iedereenisanders.nl. The website helps young people find ways to talk to their parents, friends and family. And it connects LGBT youth with others like them.
The soundtrack playing in the backgrond as the kids in the video mature from infant to toddler and all the way to high-schooler is from Roel Slootman and Erik Groot, who sing:
"Everyone you meet is different by their looks or what they do,
It's not about the ones you live with, no it's only about you,
I'm looking for something, or rather feel like it's looking at me,
but it has everything that I wanted it to be."
Watch the video below, and share memories from your own youth in the comments.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- Op-ed: Why I Quit My Job at the United Nations
- Robbie Rogers's Memoir Kicks Around Depression, Redemption, And Coming Out