WATCH: Touching Video Reminds Us What It's Like to Grow Up Gay
BY Lucas Grindley
October 30 2012 3:39 PM ET
The often unseen moments of alienation felt by LGBT youth are assembled in a touching web video, which comes from activists in the Netherlands but that will feel relatable to anyone who grew up queer.
The video's message, and its title, is "Everyone Is Different." It comes from a Dutch website for LGBT youth, called www.iedereenisanders.nl. The website helps young people find ways to talk to their parents, friends and family. And it connects LGBT youth with others like them.
The soundtrack playing in the backgrond as the kids in the video mature from infant to toddler and all the way to high-schooler is from Roel Slootman and Erik Groot, who sing:
"Everyone you meet is different by their looks or what they do,
It's not about the ones you live with, no it's only about you,
I'm looking for something, or rather feel like it's looking at me,
but it has everything that I wanted it to be."
Watch the video below, and share memories from your own youth in the comments.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Fitness A Workout Especially for HIV-Positive People 32 min 1 sec ago
- Music Austra's Summer Soundtrack 45 min 30 sec ago
- Books James Franco's A California Childhood: Win Signed Copy 51 min 58 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Cher Wigs Out on The Voice 1 hour 22 min ago
- Entertainment News CA Town Hoists And Promptly Removes Gay Pride Flag 2 hours 29 min ago
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM