WATCH: Touching Video Reminds Us What It's Like to Grow Up Gay
BY Lucas Grindley
October 30 2012 2:39 PM ET
The often unseen moments of alienation felt by LGBT youth are assembled in a touching web video, which comes from activists in the Netherlands but that will feel relatable to anyone who grew up queer.
The video's message, and its title, is "Everyone Is Different." It comes from a Dutch website for LGBT youth, called www.iedereenisanders.nl. The website helps young people find ways to talk to their parents, friends and family. And it connects LGBT youth with others like them.
The soundtrack playing in the backgrond as the kids in the video mature from infant to toddler and all the way to high-schooler is from Roel Slootman and Erik Groot, who sing:
"Everyone you meet is different by their looks or what they do,
It's not about the ones you live with, no it's only about you,
I'm looking for something, or rather feel like it's looking at me,
but it has everything that I wanted it to be."
Watch the video below, and share memories from your own youth in the comments.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM