Is The Mormon Church Behind the Boy Scouts' Cop-Out?
BY Lucas Grindley
February 07 2013 2:20 PM ET
The Mormon Church at first seemed to cheer as the Boy Scouts opted not to allow gays to join the organization. But now it's getting strange.
The LDS Church's first statement praised the news that that Boy Scouts' executive board had delayed any decision on changing its discriminatory policy until May at the earliest.
"The church is following this proposed policy change very closely," a spokesman said, or warned. "We believe the BSA has acted wisely in delaying its decision until all voices can be heard on this important moral issue."
The Salt Lake Tribune points out that the church issued yet another statement on the matter that afternoon, and the "moral issue" language had disappeared. The church now said it backs efforts to "strengthen the moral character and leadership skills of young men." But it claimed to have "not commented on" the Boy Scouts policy and said "a decision will not be made until we have assessed all of the implications. We caution others not to speculate about our position or to assume that individual Latter-day Saints inside or outside the Scouting movement speak for the church. Neither has the church launched any campaign either to effect or prevent a policy change."
Mormon members of Utah-based Boy Scouts troops have been on television vocally opposing lifting the ban. The proposal underconsideration would lift the ban only at the national level and would allow them to continue discriminating in their own troops, essentially shifting the decision to local troops.
Watch The Advocate's editor in chief, Matthew Breen, who grew up in Salt Lake City, discuss the Mormon Church's influence on The Stephanie Miller Show today.
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM