WATCH: Universal Studios Stages Homophobic Halloween Show
BY Daniel Reynolds
October 21 2013 1:20 PM ET
Universal Studios is hosting a play that is raising eyebrows for its portrayals of minority characters, including a gay Superman.
In its review of a recent performance of Bill and Ted’s Excellent Halloween Adventure, an annual spectacle at the Los Angeles theme park that spoofs pop culture, Vice noted how the character of Superman assumes a succession of stereotypes after a witch sprinkles him “with fairy dust, turning him gay.”
“After becoming gay, Superman's voice and posture changes,” Vice reported. “His lips purse, his toes point inward, and his wrists become limp. His new voice sounds like a homophobic uncle doing a drunken impression of Richard Simmons, complete with lisps and frequent use of the word ‘faaaaaaabulous!’”
The protagonists Bill and Ted — inspired by the 1989 cult film Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure, which features slackers traveling through time — lament Superman’s transformation, as it renders him useless in their latest adventure, which involved battling witches in the Land of Oz.
"Who could possibly make a worse Superman?" Bill asks Ted, referencing the newly gay Man of Steel. "Ben Affleck?" Ted responds.
After assuming his new sexual orientation, Superman takes off his shirt and makes several sexual advances toward Bill and Ted. He exits the stage after encountering a fictionalized George Takei, presumably to have sex.
Vice also reported jokes aimed at women and other minority groups, including racially charged characterizations of Kim Jong-un and Nicki Minaj. The play also incorporates a date rape gag after Minaj is dragged unconscious off the stage by Wreck-It Ralph, a spoof of a Disney character from a 2012 film of the same name.
In addition, the tornado that transports Bill and Ted into Oz is called “Cory Monteith’s ghost,” referring to the Glee star that died of a heroin overdose earlier this year.
Watch the below clip of the scantily clad Superman losing a fight to a villain in the Universal Studios production. "Dude, we need Superman to man up," Ted says.
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 2 hours 48 min ago
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 6:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 5:00 AM
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM