BY Neal Broverman
November 13 2009 6:45 PM ET
Shepard and Amanda Fairey
Even though he's in the middle of an ugly legal battle with the Associated Press, artist Shepard Fairey came through for the gays on Thursday night in West Hollywood.
For the Shepard Fairey Equality Project, Fairey donated dozens of his iconic "Defend Equality, Love Unites" posters (created after the passage of Proposition 8), asked celebrities to sign or customize the prints, and auctioned them off -- the money made will go to FAIR, a nonprofit group working to overturn California's ban on same-sex marriage. The Thursday event was a showcase for the posters -- designed by stars like Scarlett Johansson, Renée Zellweger, Milo Ventimiglia, Matt Groening, and DJ AM -- which are currently being auctioned off to buyers.
The soft-spoken -- and straight -- Fairey was on hand, greeting guests and spinning at the DJ booth. Fairey is in legal hot water over a Barack Obama photo he used to create his iconic "Hope" poster.
The event was sponsored by West Hollywood's Andaz Hotel, Out magazine, and HOMOtracker, a Los Angeles–based gay networking group.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Is First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 13 min 39 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns: First Openly Gay Footballer UPDATED: 11:56 AM