Artist Spotlight: Mauricio Lemonk
BY Albert Smith
May 29 2010 3:00 AM ET
Why are you a photographer?
I do consider myself an artist overall. I think photography has the ability to extend its dimension and join painting, film, music, storytelling, architecture, fashion, and any kind of art. Since I was a child, I was always shooting with my family film camera, cutting color papers, and designing complicated gear for G.I. Joes.
What catches your eye?
Colors, children, fashion, textures, sexiness.
How do you choose your subjects?
I generally do not choose them; I just let the day by day take me to where I should be and what I should do. I get involved in the most random situations and clients contacting me from where I would never have expected. I always find myself asking the universe why such fabulous things and people come into my life. ... I still don’t find the answer.
How do you describe your work?
Thoughtful. There is a story behind every single photo I take. The scenes are worked out previously, and I just allow my hands and eyes to snap the shutter at the right moment. There is a little kinkiness and naughtiness to my work, and I depend on my client to see how far I can get. I have no boundaries.
What makes a good photograph to you?
A good orgasm, a natural model, a great concept, a charming moment, a deep emotion, a balanced composition, the right beat.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
Salvador Dalí has been my inspiration since I was a child. His surrealist eye pictured the world in such a way that nobody else did. He was sexual, dirty, raunchy yet romantic, creative, and surprising.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 1 hour 42 min ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 2 hours 41 min ago
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM