Artist Spotlight: Mauricio Lemonk
BY Albert Smith
May 29 2010 4:00 AM ET
Why are you a photographer?
I do consider myself an artist overall. I think photography has the ability to extend its dimension and join painting, film, music, storytelling, architecture, fashion, and any kind of art. Since I was a child, I was always shooting with my family film camera, cutting color papers, and designing complicated gear for G.I. Joes.
What catches your eye?
Colors, children, fashion, textures, sexiness.
How do you choose your subjects?
I generally do not choose them; I just let the day by day take me to where I should be and what I should do. I get involved in the most random situations and clients contacting me from where I would never have expected. I always find myself asking the universe why such fabulous things and people come into my life. ... I still don’t find the answer.
How do you describe your work?
Thoughtful. There is a story behind every single photo I take. The scenes are worked out previously, and I just allow my hands and eyes to snap the shutter at the right moment. There is a little kinkiness and naughtiness to my work, and I depend on my client to see how far I can get. I have no boundaries.
What makes a good photograph to you?
A good orgasm, a natural model, a great concept, a charming moment, a deep emotion, a balanced composition, the right beat.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
Salvador Dalí has been my inspiration since I was a child. His surrealist eye pictured the world in such a way that nobody else did. He was sexual, dirty, raunchy yet romantic, creative, and surprising.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM