Artist Spotlight: Mauricio Lemonk
BY Albert Smith
May 29 2010 4:00 AM ET
Why are you a photographer?
I do consider myself an artist overall. I think photography has the ability to extend its dimension and join painting, film, music, storytelling, architecture, fashion, and any kind of art. Since I was a child, I was always shooting with my family film camera, cutting color papers, and designing complicated gear for G.I. Joes.
What catches your eye?
Colors, children, fashion, textures, sexiness.
How do you choose your subjects?
I generally do not choose them; I just let the day by day take me to where I should be and what I should do. I get involved in the most random situations and clients contacting me from where I would never have expected. I always find myself asking the universe why such fabulous things and people come into my life. ... I still don’t find the answer.
How do you describe your work?
Thoughtful. There is a story behind every single photo I take. The scenes are worked out previously, and I just allow my hands and eyes to snap the shutter at the right moment. There is a little kinkiness and naughtiness to my work, and I depend on my client to see how far I can get. I have no boundaries.
What makes a good photograph to you?
A good orgasm, a natural model, a great concept, a charming moment, a deep emotion, a balanced composition, the right beat.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
Salvador Dalí has been my inspiration since I was a child. His surrealist eye pictured the world in such a way that nobody else did. He was sexual, dirty, raunchy yet romantic, creative, and surprising.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 1 hour 14 min ago
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 2 hours 26 min ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM