Artist Spotlight: Dan Nicoletta
BY Albert Smith
August 07 2010 3:00 AM ET
Harvey Milk on Election Night
Dan Nicoletta began his career as a freelance photographer in 1975 as an intern to Crawford Barton, who was then the staff photographer for The Advocate. Dan also worked in Harvey Milk’s camera store in the heart of the burgeoning LGBT mecca in the Castro district and was also involved in Milk’s election to the city's board of supervisors, which made him one of the first openly gay elected officials in the world. Nicoletta’s photographic work maps his enduring romance with San Francisco and its people, especially the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender populations, and he remains a key point person for LGBT-related research.
Nicoletta’s work has been featured in numerous settings, including the Academy Award–winning film Milk by Gus Van Sant, the Academy Award–winning documentary The Times of Harvey Milk by Rob Epstein and Richard Schmiechen, and the award-winning documentary Sex Is by Marc Huestis and Lawrence Helman.
Dan’s work has also appeared in numerous periodicals and books, including Randy Shilts’s The Mayor of Castro Street, Susan Stryker and Jim Van Buskirk’s Gay by the Bay, and Harold Evans’s The American Century and also the 10-year anniversary catalog Out at the Library: Celebrating the James C. Hormel Gay and Lesbian Center.
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 2 hours 19 min ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM