Artist Spotlight: Christian Oita
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 04 2011 4:00 AM ET
Romanian-born and German-raised, Christian Oita started out as a writer. His artistic shift to fashion photography three years ago was soon to trigger a full career transition. Today, he is shooting his singularly styled male fashion imagery for clients on both sides of the Atlantic.
The Advocate: Why are you a photographer?
Christian Oita: I was working at a local newspaper in my late teens and there was this photojournalist who mentored me. He tried to talk me out of painting. For days I would go on telling him how photography is basically a lazy way of creating images with no original outcome whatsoever. A few weeks later I gave up painting and picked up a camera.
What catches your eye?
Vintage cars and large billboards. Cute puppy dogs in parks.
How do you choose your subjects?
Casting is always a crucial aspect, even with assignments that seem easy to cast, starting off. I tend to go the distance, because the right choice here will usually end up making the difference.
Who are your favorite artists and why?
Those who dare. Michelangelo Antonioni, David Hockney, Sergio Leone, Chuck Close, Alexander McQueen, Jean-Paul Goude.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1 hour 43 min ago
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM