Artist Spotlight: Christian Oita
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 04 2011 3:00 AM ET
Romanian-born and German-raised, Christian Oita started out as a writer. His artistic shift to fashion photography three years ago was soon to trigger a full career transition. Today, he is shooting his singularly styled male fashion imagery for clients on both sides of the Atlantic.
The Advocate: Why are you a photographer?
Christian Oita: I was working at a local newspaper in my late teens and there was this photojournalist who mentored me. He tried to talk me out of painting. For days I would go on telling him how photography is basically a lazy way of creating images with no original outcome whatsoever. A few weeks later I gave up painting and picked up a camera.
What catches your eye?
Vintage cars and large billboards. Cute puppy dogs in parks.
How do you choose your subjects?
Casting is always a crucial aspect, even with assignments that seem easy to cast, starting off. I tend to go the distance, because the right choice here will usually end up making the difference.
Who are your favorite artists and why?
Those who dare. Michelangelo Antonioni, David Hockney, Sergio Leone, Chuck Close, Alexander McQueen, Jean-Paul Goude.
- Entertainment News Musto: Tom Daley & Maria Bello Are Bi, Get Used To It 2 hours 13 min ago
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 7:00 AM
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 6:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 5:00 AM
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM