LGBT Art Museum Gets Multi-Million Dollar Gift
BY Trudy Ring
June 01 2012 8:41 PM ET
The Leslie-Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art in New York City has received gifts totaling more than $10 million, the largest donation ever made to an LGBT arts organization, museum officials say.
Charles W. Leslie made a contribution of $8.8 million worth of stock in a New York real estate corporation in memory of his longtime partner, J. Frederic "Fritz" Lohman, with whom he founded the museum’s predecessor organization, the Leslie/Lohman Gay Art Foundation. Substantial ongoing distributions from this gift will support the museum. Other recent gifts include $1.5 million from the estate of Marion Pinto, an artist who has long been a benefactor of the organization.
“Charles Leslie is one of the few individuals in New York with both the capacity, and the political will, to rectify the silence around gay/lesbian art and artists in New York’s major museums, by setting up our own gay and lesbian art museum,” said Jonathan D. Katz, president of the museum’s board of directors, in a press release announcing the donations. “We’re excited to be presenting exhibitions that finally acknowledge important artists like Paul Thek fully in the round, and this major gift will enable us to continue to exhibit high-quality shows for a long time to come.”
The Leslie-Lohman Museum is the first and only dedicated gay and lesbian art museum in the world. It has a permanent collection of more than 6,000 objects spanning more than three centuries of gay and lesbian art. Its programs include six to eight major exhibitions a year, film screenings, plays, poetry readings, artist and curator talks, panel discussions, a quarterly newsletter focusing on gay and lesbian art and artists, a membership program, a research library, and an archive of the permanent collection.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 28 min 2 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 43 min 45 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 1 hour 20 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 1 hour 18 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 1 hour 20 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 50 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 43 min ago