Artist Spotlight: George Hurrell
BY Christopher Harrity
October 19 2013 3:00 AM ET
Gay artist and writer Mark A. Vieira's book George Hurrell's Hollywood connects golden age photographer Hurrell's story to both Hollywood and gay history. The book is a treasure trove of Hurrell images. It's also a frank biography of the artist, with revelations about his personal life and his art-world dealings. Interesting information is gleaned from exclusive interviews with Hurrell intimates such as gay film director Paul Morrissey. Some of it comes from Viera's 1970s diary entries. None of it has been published.
The story of Hurrell's comeback is inextricably linked with gay history. He was rediscovered by the gay writer John Kobal. Vieira met both Hurrell and Kobal through Los Angeles movie-still collectors, all of whom were gay, and many of whom exacted quid pro quo from young men looking for work in the film industry. Vieira describes the inner workings of this society in detail.
With a foreword by Sharon Stone, Vieira's book gives deep insight into not only the people that Hurrell photographed but his meticulous techniques and working habits.
Hurrell worked with the era's biggest names — both on-screen and behind-the-scenes luminaries. Many were gay, bi, or just plain ambitious: Ramon Novarro, Greta Garbo, William Haines, Gilbert Adrian, Marie Dressler, Cedric Gibbons, first lady Eleanor Roosevelt, Clifton Webb, Tallulah Bankhead, Barbara Stanwyck, Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, and Anna May Wong.
In both text and photos, the book pays special attention to Hurrell's most stellar muses: Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, and Jean Harlow.
George Hurrell's Hollywood will be published November 5 by Running Press.
Find the book on Amazon here.
Ramon Novarro, 1929
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM