Artist Spotlight: George Hurrell
BY Christopher Harrity
October 19 2013 4:00 AM ET
Gay artist and writer Mark A. Vieira's book George Hurrell's Hollywood connects golden age photographer Hurrell's story to both Hollywood and gay history. The book is a treasure trove of Hurrell images. It's also a frank biography of the artist, with revelations about his personal life and his art-world dealings. Interesting information is gleaned from exclusive interviews with Hurrell intimates such as gay film director Paul Morrissey. Some of it comes from Viera's 1970s diary entries. None of it has been published.
The story of Hurrell's comeback is inextricably linked with gay history. He was rediscovered by the gay writer John Kobal. Vieira met both Hurrell and Kobal through Los Angeles movie-still collectors, all of whom were gay, and many of whom exacted quid pro quo from young men looking for work in the film industry. Vieira describes the inner workings of this society in detail.
With a foreword by Sharon Stone, Vieira's book gives deep insight into not only the people that Hurrell photographed but his meticulous techniques and working habits.
Hurrell worked with the era's biggest names — both on-screen and behind-the-scenes luminaries. Many were gay, bi, or just plain ambitious: Ramon Novarro, Greta Garbo, William Haines, Gilbert Adrian, Marie Dressler, Cedric Gibbons, first lady Eleanor Roosevelt, Clifton Webb, Tallulah Bankhead, Barbara Stanwyck, Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, and Anna May Wong.
In both text and photos, the book pays special attention to Hurrell's most stellar muses: Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, and Jean Harlow.
George Hurrell's Hollywood will be published November 5 by Running Press.
Find the book on Amazon here.
Ramon Novarro, 1929
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM