Postcards from Divine
BY Michelle Garcia
December 07 2011 5:00 AM ET UPDATED: March 07 2013 2:19 AM ET
For most of us, drag pioneer Divine probably conjures images of big hair, big boobs, and John Waters. But the guys behind Everything Divine Inc. want to ensure we know there's more to Divine, born Harris Glenn Milstead.
In Postcards From Divine, compiled by enthusiasts Noah Brodie, Dan Marshall, Michael O'Quinn, and Divine's mother, Frances Milstead, Divine's journey is shown as she traveled the globe from 1977 and 1987. Divine died on March 7, 1988.
The book also includes rare photos, quotes, and stories from friends and colleagues, including Waters, Mink Stole, Mary Vivian Pearce, Tab Hunter, Deborah Harry, Jerry Stiller, Ricki Lake, and others.
Check out some photos and postcards from Divine's travels on the following pages.
- 52 LGBT Superheroes and Villains
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: I'm a Lesbian Targeted by the Bathroom Police
- The Advocate's 31 Favorite Films of Outfest 2015
- WATCH: Ted Cruz, Glenn Beck Think Marriage Equality Has Destroyed the Constitution
- STUDY: Bisexuals Have Worse Health Than Gay, Lesbian, or Straight People