Bret Easton Ellis Lobs Yet Another Tweet for Your Outrage
BY Lucas Grindley
September 23 2012 8:54 PM ET
A tweet in response to Bret Easton Ellis's latest alarming comment probably sums it up best: "BRET IS BACK!"
The author of Less Than Zero and American Psycho hadn't gotten much attention in a while. The last time was back in August for saying on Twitter that actor Matt Bomer, because he is openly gay, was wrong for the part of Christian Grey in the film adaptation of the novel Fifty Shades of Grey. That got him spit on while at a grocery store in West Hollywood.
Back in March, Ellis called the trial of Dharun Ravi "a witch hunt." Ravi was being prosecuted for his role in the suicide of Rutgers student Tyler Clementi. And in April of 2011, Ellis said watching Chris Colfer on Glee made him feel "like I had suddenly come down with the hivs." Ellis later assured followers that he wasn't drinking-while-tweeting.
All of that and more led the books editor of The Huffington Post to write a column titled "Why We're Unfollowing Bret Easton Ellis." For swearing to never write about Ellis's cries for attention, Andrew Losowsky was called "humorless" by Ellis. More than 340,000 people still follow Ellis.
Now "BRET IS BACK!" And he wants you to know: "I kind of agree with Paris Hilton."
The hotel heiress apologized last week for saying gay men are "disgusting" and "most of them probably have AIDS." Her remarks — taken out of context, she says — were recorded during a cab ride conversation with a gay friend about phone apps for hookups and dating. Outraged advocates said the comments were like something out of the homophobia of the 1980s' AIDS crisis.
Ellis went on: "As someone who has used Grindr? Paris Hilton isn't that far off."
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 34 min 10 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 59 min 46 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 2 hours 44 min ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM