Bret Easton Ellis Lobs Yet Another Tweet for Your Outrage
BY Lucas Grindley
September 23 2012 7:54 PM ET
A tweet in response to Bret Easton Ellis's latest alarming comment probably sums it up best: "BRET IS BACK!"
The author of Less Than Zero and American Psycho hadn't gotten much attention in a while. The last time was back in August for saying on Twitter that actor Matt Bomer, because he is openly gay, was wrong for the part of Christian Grey in the film adaptation of the novel Fifty Shades of Grey. That got him spit on while at a grocery store in West Hollywood.
Back in March, Ellis called the trial of Dharun Ravi "a witch hunt." Ravi was being prosecuted for his role in the suicide of Rutgers student Tyler Clementi. And in April of 2011, Ellis said watching Chris Colfer on Glee made him feel "like I had suddenly come down with the hivs." Ellis later assured followers that he wasn't drinking-while-tweeting.
All of that and more led the books editor of The Huffington Post to write a column titled "Why We're Unfollowing Bret Easton Ellis." For swearing to never write about Ellis's cries for attention, Andrew Losowsky was called "humorless" by Ellis. More than 340,000 people still follow Ellis.
Now "BRET IS BACK!" And he wants you to know: "I kind of agree with Paris Hilton."
The hotel heiress apologized last week for saying gay men are "disgusting" and "most of them probably have AIDS." Her remarks — taken out of context, she says — were recorded during a cab ride conversation with a gay friend about phone apps for hookups and dating. Outraged advocates said the comments were like something out of the homophobia of the 1980s' AIDS crisis.
Ellis went on: "As someone who has used Grindr? Paris Hilton isn't that far off."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 8 min 23 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 2 hours 43 min ago
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 2 hours 57 min ago
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 3:36 PM
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert on the Pressure for People Like Maria Bello to Come Out 3:17 PM
- Women Ms. Fit: A Lesbian-Friendly, Feminist Fitness Mag for All Women 2:47 PM